Tuesday, March 13, 2007

First post

Over the past few years, I've been doing a lot of traveling and have bored my friends and family with the details in longwinded e-mails. I can't help it, I am a giver. I have also remodeled various parts of my house (naturally, more sharing of the fascinating details occurred), and I have switched jobs (okay, I didn't so much share these details as whine about them, but mostly to my husband who is used to it after 19 years).
Finally, in self-defense, one of my friends suggested I keep a blog. That way, any and all of my victims, I mean friends, could just go to my blog and read (or not). So, a year later(perhaps she was too subtle in her suggestion the first dozen times)....here I am, probably just writing to entertain myslef.
Anyway...Step 1: go get a book about blogging. Step 2: read actual blogs. Suddenly, I was turning something most people are doing for fun into actual work!!! (Maybe this is why my husband says I'm OCD??!! Step 3: log on to blogger.com for the best and easiest way to create a blog. Couldn't be simpler. Yeah, right.
Step 1: drive to the bookstore and find out they really only have one book that will help me(unsurprisingly, it is for dummies) and the chapter on blogging basically says: go to blogger.com and follow the directions. I'm pretty sure I could have done that without the book, but I got the book anyway so I could obsess over each nuance of those few words.
Step2: Oh my God!!! did you know there are like 8 million blogs out there???
Step 3: I turn on my computer, go to blogger.com, read what they have to say about blogs, and,. feeling nervous but confident, I click on "create blog". And it won't download. So I try again. And it won't download. So I go back to my homepage and then try again. And it won't download. I repeat these steps 20 times (OCD again). I go into tools and get rid of all the cookies and the history and click on anything else that I think might help. ( I am so proud of myself at this point for not only thinking of doing this, but actually figuring out how to do it that I almost don't care if I can create my own blog anymore). Still no luck.
Five hours later, I get in but at this point I am so ticked off with the site, my computer my dinner, my life...that I am not really in a blogging frame of mind. (or at least not a frame of mind that wouldn't contain lots of four-letter words). So this morning, all rested and refreshed, I eagerly turned on my computer and..........no download, try again. Repeat. Same results. As I'm thinking maybe I'm really not meant to spare my friends and family every riveting detail of my life, I get a brainstorm...try the laptop! Success at last, for which I am sure I can hear a huge sigh of relief coming from lots of inboxes!

No comments: