Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Florida Trip

Just got back from our trip to Florida, and despite my father's dire predictions, no one sat on the runway for 19 hours, got stranded in Dogpatch, had a close encounter with a bedbug, or lost their luggage. Well, okay, we did lose our luggage, but it was on the way home and it wasn't one of his bags. But one out of four isn't bad. You have to be optimistic.

Day one: We land an hour ahead of my parents and sister, which gives us just enough time to hike the twenty miles from our baggage claim area to their baggage claim area. Fortunately, I was able to multi-task during the trip, shedding my winter layers of sweaters and jacket, dragging two bags, and calling our alarm company to find out why they had dispatched the police to our home an hour earlier.

Naturally, they immediately put my fears to rest. Yes, the police had been sent and the alarm reset. Oh, I wanted to know if someone had broken in? Well, uh, probably not or the police would have notified us... or them... or something like that. Anyway, they were having a hard time hearing me on my cell, so I should call back later...or maybe I should call the police.....or something like that. Couldn't I just run home and check it out myself?

Okay, this was not good, but I was going to be optimistic. Everything was going to be fine. All of our possessions were not currently for sale on E-bay.

I was able to stay in this happy place until we went to get our rental car. Which wasn't there. Reservation? Try the other counter. No, not this counter. That one over there. Oh, yes, here is the problem. We gave the car to someone else. Don't worry, we'll give you another car. You can fit five people and all your luggage into a mini-Cooper, right?

It was definitely getting harder to be optimistic, but hey, it was snowing back home and it was 80 and sunny here. Except that it wasn't 80 in the car. It was about 40, and there was no way to shut off the airflow to the back, or even turn it down. From my seat in the middle, I could direct the air up into my face or down onto my legs, but I could not get the vents to shut. Turning the air down in front apparently resulted in sweltering conditions for everyone else, so I had a choice...get frostbite from the top down, or the bottom up. Good thing I left all that winter weather behind!

It's a short trip to the hotel though, a mere fifteen minutes, so I probably won't have to have anything amputated. Except that they are doing major construction in Miami and the bridge we want is closed, and there are so many cones and barriers and detours that it makes construction season in Pennsylvania look like a walk in the park. I have now lost all feeling in my extremities and therefore can't raise my arm to look at my watch, but this trip is definitely taking longer than 15 minutes.

Four U-turns and eight trips around the same turning circle later, we finally arrive at the hotel.
Naturally, our room isn't ready, but staying in my "winter clothes" to go have lunch and walk around South Beach doesn't seem like a bad idea. It may help me defrost faster. (Actually, after about a half hour in the Miami sun, I am not so much defrosting as melting, but the clothes do keep me from burning. Well, everywhere except for the few square inches that are exposed, which turn a lovely shade of fire engine red. Hmmm, frostbite and sunburn all within an hour of each other. Optimism is quickly becoming a thing of the past.)

Another trip back to the hotel in the rolling refrigerator. Three U-turns and only once around the turning circle. We get a room, a shower and head out for dinner. We decide to take cabs this time (yeah! I don't have to bring my coat and two sweaters). As we step out into the driveway, I discover that I should have brought my umbrella though. It is raining. Not a gentle, refreshing rain, but a downpour. Now I am having a hard time even thinking about being optimistic.

Since there are five of us, we need to take two cabs. My mother, sister and I get into the first cab, leaving Tim and my dad to catch the second one. Fifteen minutes later, Tim calls me. Where are we? They are at the restaurant already and waiting to be seated. Apparently, our driver decided to take the longest way possible. I probably should have been suspicious when I saw the sign that said "Welcome to Georgia".

Now I don't even know the word optimism. Day One of vacation is done. Tomorrow will be a better day. I'm........hopeful.

1 comment:

Love said...

Ann, What are you doing blogging at 2:22 am?

Wanted to share an excerpt from the program for Easter Service:

May you carry the prayers of all of us as you take this sacrament of Chris's Presence.