Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Welcome to my World

I'm glad it's not just me.

Last fall, I decided it would be a good idea to make the basement more acceptable (see Oct. blogs). Turns out it wasn't.

Eventually though, the basement room was finished, and two weeks ago, the guy came to install the cabinets.

Two days, he said. Easy, he said. Yeah. That was before he had to schlep the cabimets down to the basement himself because his delivery guy wouldn't bring them further than the porch (he claimed insurance liability, but I'm thinking Friday happy hour).

Then, there wasn't a base for the pantry cabinet, or glass for the upper ones. The plot thickened. He he he.

I warned him about the sloping floor, cinderblock walls and heating duct. Yeah, yeah, yeah, he nodded. Three days later, he was almost sobbing. "It took longer than I thought. Did you know you have a sloping floor, cinderblock walls and that this (frustrated hand gesture here -- there may have been a middle finger involved) is a heating duct?

No. Really? Do tell.

Oh, and let's not forget about the whole lighting debacle. Lights in the cabinets? No problem. We'll just drill two holes, like that, then punch a hole in the wall to run the wire through here...no here...um, maybe here... Uh oh. Are you sure you want lights?

Well, yes, now I need them to cover the holes you've put everywhere!!!

"This project was not easy," he grumbled to me last week. I just smiled.

But at last his part was finished, and yesterday, it was the granite guy's turn. Lickety-split, he measured the space, then called his office for a delivery time.

"No, it's just a single, solid piece." Pause.
"It's not a kitchen." Pause, and eyeroll.
"No, there are no cutouts; it's just a single, solid piece." Pause, eyeroll, deep breath.
"No, it's not a bathroom." Pause, eyeroll, deep breath, forehead slap.
"It's a room with a refrigerator, but it's not a kitchen. We just need a single, solid piece." Pause, eyeroll, deep breath, forehead slap, search for a gun with a single bullet.

As he became more deeply enmeshed in the same Abott and Costelloesque routine that I had been sucked into back in October, I just looked at him...and laughed.

I almost can't wait to see what happens when the painter shows up.

No comments: